Wednesday 9 June 2010

Victory Log Entry - Outlook HTML e-mail

Well here's a Victory Log Entry for an achievement at work today. As I'd said in the post about "Goals" in May, this is one thing from there I do like to remind myself of major achievements. My significant achievement of today was a formatted HTML e-mail in Outlook 2007 with text and pictures. The guv had asked me to start this yesterday, but when viewed in a browser the pictures moved as the window was resized, when they should have stayed still with scrollbars for the user to move. I looked online for stuff about formatting HTML e-mail after finding nothing in Outlook's own help to resolve this.

Significant was finding this blog on Campaign Monitor about Outlook 2007 using an engine from Word rather than Internet Explorer to render HTML emails, dropping "position" commands which was described as completely breaking any CSS based layouts meaning the need to use tables. Well it sounded like a backward step in web design terms but at least it had told me what to try, I'd used tables in Word was familiar with specifying sizes of whole tables, rows, columns; and merging and splitting cells. It took a bit of trial and error but when seen and tested the guv was impressed, as it now worked both on my own Internet Explorer and his Mac Firefox browsers.

No comments:

Post a Comment